- Cum Laude distinction for the Ph.D. program in electrical engineering.
- Scholarship in Switzerland, research internship, Zurich University of Applied Sciences, April 2022.
- Ph.D. Scholarship in Colombia, Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation (Minciencias - Colombia), January 2021.
- Scholarship for Ph.D. studies in Mexico, National Council of Science and Technology (Conacyt - Mexico), January 2020.
- Maximum distinction for his research work in the Master's Program in Engineering, Universidad de Antioquia, 2015.
- Knowledge generation award, Governor’s Office of Antioquia, Colombia, February 2013.
- Student Instructor Scholarship, Council of the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Antioquia, 2012.
Gabriel E. Mejia Ruiz received a Ph.D. (Cum Laude) degree in Electrical Engineering from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) in 2023. He received the M.Eng. degree (outstanding distinction) with an emphasis in electrical and electronic systems from the University of Antioquia, Colombia, in 2015. He received a B.S. degree in Control Engineering from Universidad Nacional de Colombia in 2008.
His background includes working as a lecturer in engineering areas. Currently, he is a researcher at the Secure Next Generation Resilient Systems Lab (SENTRY) of King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia.
His research interests include providing ancillary services to the power grid using distributed inverter-based resources, the development of electronic power converters, and the real-time simulation of smart grids.
1. Gabriel E. Mejia-Ruiz, M. R. Arrieta-Paternina, P. Korba, and F. R. Segundo Sevilla, “Fast hierarchical coordinated controller for distributed battery energy storage systems to mitigate voltage and frequency deviations”,” Applied energy”, p. 26, 2022. IF= 11.4.
2. Gabriel E. Mejia-Ruiz, R. Cardenas-Javier, M. R. Arrieta Paternina, J. R. Rodriguez-Rodriguez, J. M. Ramirez, and A. Zamora-Mendez, “Coordinated optimal volt/var control for distribution networks via d-pmus and ev chargers by exploiting the eigensystem realization,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 2425–2438, 2021. IF=10.3
3. Gabriel E. Mejia-Ruiz, M. R. A. Paternina, A. Zamora-Mendez, J. C. Rosas-Caro and G. Bolivar-Ortiz, "A Novel GaN-Based Solid-State Circuit Breaker With Voltage Overshoot Suppression," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 8949-8960, Sept. 2022, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2021.3116557. IF= 8.16
4. Gabriel E. Mejia-Ruiz, M. R. A. Paternina, A. Zamora-Mendez, “O-splines-based Fixed-Frequency Integral Sliding-Mode Controller for PFC Rectifier," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 2023, doi: 10.1109/TPEL.2023.3270268.
5. Gabriel E. Mejia-Ruiz, J. M. R. Guerrero, M. R. A. Paternina, J. de la Cruz, A. Zamora-Mendez and A. P. P. Sandoval, "Enhancing Grid Integration and Design of Low Speed PMSGs by Exploiting SRF-PLL-Based Sensorless Control and Holistic Modeling," in IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 2962-2973, Dec. 2022, doi: 10.1109/TEC.2022.3199166. IF= 4.9
6. Gabriel E. Mejia-Ruiz, M. R. A. Paternina, J. R. R. R., J. M. Ramirez, A. Zamora-Mendez and G. Bolivar-O., "A System Identification-based Modeling Framework of Bidirectional DC-DC Converters for Power Grids," in Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 788-799, May 2022, doi: 10.35833/MPCE.2020.000836, IF= 4.5
7. Arrieta Paternina, M. R., Castrillón-Franco, C., Zamora-Mendez, A., Gabriel E. Mejia-Ruiz, Zelaya-Arrazabal, F., Correa, R. E., & Sevilla, F. R. S. (2023). Enhancing wide-area damping controllers via data-assisted power system linear models. Electric Power Systems Research, 217, 109085. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2022.109085. IF= 4.63
8. Zamora-Mendez, A., Sotelo-Castañón, J., Arrieta Paternina, M. R., Buendia, P., Torres, C., Toledo-Santos, C., Mejia-Ruiz, Gabriel E. (2021). Two effective methods for impedance estimation in distance relays based on the DC offset removal. Electric Power Systems Research, 194, 107102. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2021.107102. IF=4.63
9. Juan R. Rodriguez, Gabriel E. Mejia-Ruiz, Mario R. Arrieta Paternina, Alfredo Velazquez-Ibanez, "A Single-Loop and Current-Sensorless Control for On-Grid Seven-Level photovoltaic Microinverter". IET Power Electronics. Dec 2022, IF= 2.112
10. Ortiz-Castrillón JR, Mejía-Ruíz Gabriel E, Muñoz-Galeano N, López-Lezama JM, Saldarriaga-Zuluaga SD. PFC Single-Phase AC/DC Boost Converters: Bridge, Semi-Bridgeless, and Bridgeless Topologies. Applied Sciences. 2021; 11(16):7651. https://doi.org/10.3390/app11167651, IF:2.92
11. Ortiz-Castrillón, José Robinson, Gabriel E. Mejía-Ruiz, Nicolás Muñoz-Galeano, Jesús María López-Lezama, and Juan Bernardo Cano-Quintero. 2021. "A Sliding Surface for Controlling a Semi-Bridgeless Boost Converter with Power Factor Correction and Adaptive Hysteresis Band" Applied Sciences 11, no. 4: 1873. https://doi.org/10.3390/app11041873 IF:2.92