- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), 1999
Honors and Awards
- Named an Official Nominator for the JAPAN PRIZE 2017-2021
- IEEE CAS Awards Nomination Committee, 2015-2021
- Named to the IEEE Rebooting Computing Steering Committee, 2016 – 2019
- Technical Program Co-Chair, IEEE MWCAS, 2016
- Chair, IEEE Technical Committee on VLSI systems and its applications, 2017-2018
- Named a Distinguished Lecturer by the IEEE CAS Society 2014-2015
- IEEE Fellow, 2015
- Selected as One of 10 MIT Alumni featured by MIT’s EECS department, 2012
- IEEE Mac Valkenburg Award Selection Committee, 2012
- Editor, Mixed Signal Letters Editor - the Americas 2012 – 2018
- Best Paper Award at the IEEE International Conference on Nanotechnology, 2011
- Guest Co-Editor, IEEE Transactions CAS I, May 2010
- Named to the IEEE Nanotechnology Council, 2009-2011
- 2009 General Program Co-Chair of the ACM Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on CAS I, 2008-2013
- Best Paper Award at the 2007 IEEE International Symposium on Quality Eng. Design
- Awarded the Rising Star of Texas Medal, 2007
- 2007 Technical program Chair of the ACM Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on VLSI Systems, 2007-2015
- DAC fellowship, 2005
- NSF CAREER Award in 2005
- Nano-Interconnect Theme Leader, SRC Nanotechnology Research Initiative, 2005-2012
- Conference Keynote Opening Speaker, International Conference on Research Trends in Science and Technology, March 7, 2005
- Synopsys Special Recognition Engineering Award, 2000
Professor Yehia Massoud, a Fellow of the IEEE, holds a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, USA. He is currently the Director of the Innovative Technologies Laboratories (ITL) at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
Massoud has held several experience at leading institutions of higher education and respected industry names including Rice University, Stevens Institute of Technology, WPI, UAB, the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, and Synopsys Inc. From January 2018 to July 2021, he was the Dean of the School of Systems and Enterprises (SSE), Stevens Institute of Technology, USA. As the Dean of SSE, the school has seen a 95% increase in research funding, a 58% increase of the number of peer-reviewed publications, 47% increase in graduate student enrollment, and a 31% increase in undergraduate student enrollment. Prior to Stevens, Massoud served as the head of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) between 2012 and 2017. During that period, the ECE department saw a considerable growth in research expenditures, research output, industrial partnerships, undergraduate and graduate student enrollments, unrestricted funds and gifts, visibility and recognition. The department also rose 26 positions in the U.S. News & World Report department rankings. In 2003, Massoud joined Rice University as an assistant professor, where he became one of the fastest Rice faculty to be granted tenure in the department of Electrical Engineering and the Department of Computer Science in 2007.
Massoud was selected as one of ten MIT Alumni Featured by MIT’s Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department in 2012. He was a recipient of the Rising Star of Texas Medal, the National Science Foundation CAREER Award, the DAC Fellowship, the Synopsys Special Recognition Engineering Award, and several best paper awards. He has been a PI or a Co-PI on more than $30 Million of funded research from the NSF, DOD, SRC, and the industry. He has published more than 400 papers in leading peer-reviewed journals and conference publications. His research focuses on the design of state-of-the-art innovative technological solutions that span over a broad range of technical areas including smart cities, autonomy, smart health, smart mobility, embedded systems, nanophotonics, and spintronics. Massoud's research group was responsible for developing the world’s first realization of compressive sensing systems for signals, which provided an unprecedented one order of magnitude savings in power consumption and significant reductions in size and cost and has enabled the implementation of self-powered sensors for smart cities and ultra-low power biomedical implantable devices.
Massoud has served on the IEEE CAS Award Nomination Committee, IEEE Mac Valkenburg Award Committee, IEEE CAS Fellow Committee, IEEE Rebooting Computing Steering Committee, and IEEE Nanotechnology Council. He was also named a Distinguished Lecturer by the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society. He has served as the Editor of the Mixed-Signal Letters - the Americas, as an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration Systems, and the IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, as well as a Guest Editor of a special issue of the IEEE TCAS-I. He also served as the 2016 IEEE MWCAS Technical Program Co-Chair, as well as the 2009 General Program Co-Chair and the 2007 Technical Program Co-Chair of the ACM Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI.
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1999.
Selected Recent Publications
- R. Kumar, D. Divyanshu, D. Khan, S. Amara, and Y. Massoud,” Spin Orbit Torque assisted Magnetic Tunnel Junction based Hardware Trojan, Electronics, 2022
- S. Ijaz, A. Rana, Z. Ahmad, M. Zubair, Y. Massoud, and M.Q. Mehmood “The Dawn of Meta-devices: from Contemporary Designs to Exotic Applications”, Advanced Devices & Instrumentation, June 2022.
- A.K. Goyal, A. Kumar, and Y. Massoud, ”Thermal Stability Analysis of Surface Wave Assisted Bio-Photonic Sensor,” Photonics, May 2022.
- M. Naveed, J. Kim, I. Javed, M. Ansari, J. Seong, Y. Massoud, T. Badloe, I. Kim, K. Riaz, M. Zubair, M.Q. Mehmood, and J. Rho, ”Novel Spin‐Decoupling Strategy in Liquid Crystal‐Integrated Metasurfaces for Interactive Metadisplays,“ Advanced Optical Materials, May 2022.
- R. Lu, M. Hossain, J. Alexander, M. Haider, and Y. Massoud, ”An efficient DC‐DC converter for inductive power transfer in low‐power sensor applications,” International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, April 2022.
- R. Malik, M. Alam, S. Muhammad, F. Duraihem, and Y. Massoud, “Second-Order Arnoldi Reduction using Weighted Gaussian Kernel,” IEEE Access, April 2022.
- M. Abbas, J. Kim, A. Rana, I. Kim, B. Rehman, Z. Ahmad, Y. Massoud, J. Seong, T. Badloe, K. Park, M.Q. Mehmood, M. Zubair, and J. Rho, ”Nanostructured chromium-based broadband absorbers and emitters to realize thermally stable solar thermophotovoltaic systems", Nanoscale, March 2022.
- I. Prevez, C. Antoniadis, and Y. Massoud, "A Reduced Search Space Exploration Metaheuristic Algorithm for MPPT", IEEE Access, 2022.
- A. Hamrouni, H. Ghazzai, T. Alelyani, and Y. Massoud, “Low Complexity Recruitment for Collaborative Mobile Crowdsourcing Using Graph Neural Networks“, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, January 2022.
- N. Dhieb, I. Abdulrashid, H. Ghazzai, and Y. Massoud, “Optimized drug regimen and chemotherapy scheduling for cancer treatment using swarm intelligence“, Annals of Operations Research, September 2021.
- M. Lucic, H. Ghazzai, C. Lipizzi, and Y. Massoud, “Integrating County-Level Socioeconomic Data for COVID-19 Forecasting in the United States“, IEEE Open Journal of Engineering in Medicine and Biology, July 2021.
- A. Hamrouni, T. Alelyani, H. Ghazzai, and Y. Massoud, “Toward Collaborative Mobile Crowdsourcing“, IEEE Internet of Things Magazine, June 2021.
- X. Wan, M. Lucic, H. Ghazzai, and Y. Massoud, “Topic Modeling and Progression of American Digital News Media During the Onset of the COVID-19 Pandemic“, IEEE Transactions on Technology and Society, June 2021.
- M. Masmoudi, H. Friji, H. Ghazzai, and Y. Massoud, “A Reinforcement Learning Framework for Video Frame-based Autonomous Car-following“, IEEE Open Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, May 2021.
- M. Khan, M. Abbas, M. Khan, A. Kousar, M. Alam, and Y. Massoud, SHM Jafri, “Modeling and design of low-cost automatic self cleaning mechanism for standalone micro PV systems“, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, February 2021.
- H. Friji, R. Hamadi, H. Ghazzai, H. Besbes, and Y. Massoud, “A Generalized Mechanistic Model for Assessing and Forecasting the Spread of the COVID-19 Pandemic“, IEEE Access, January 2021.
- R. Hamadi, H. Ghazzai, H. Besbes, and Y. Massoud, “Financial Advisor Recruitment: A Smart Crowdsourcing-Assisted Approach,“ IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems, December 2020.
- X. Wan, M. Lucic, H. Ghazzai, Y. Massoud, “Empowering Real-Time Traffic Reporting Systems with NLP-Processed Social Media Data”, IEEE Journal of Vehicular Technology, September 2020.
- O. Bouhamed, H. Ghazzai, H. Besbes, and Y. Massoud, “A UAV-assisted Data Collection for Wireless Sensor Networks: Autonomous Navigation and Scheduling”, IEEE Access, June 2020.
- M. Khan, A. Kousar, M. Alam, and Y. Massoud, “Closed Form Resonance Solution in Metallic Nanoparticles with Cubic Nonlinearity,” IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, June 2020.
- M. Lucic, X. Wan, H. Ghazzai, and Y. Massoud, “Leveraging Intelligent Transportation Systems and Smart Vehicles Using Crowdsourcing: An Overview,” Smart Cities, May 2020.
- X. Wan, H. Ghazzai, and Y. Massoud, “A Generic Data-Driven Recommendation System for Large-Scale Regular and Ride-Hailing Taxi Services,” Electronics, April 2020.
- A. Hamrouni, H. Ghazzai, and Y. Massoud, “Many-to-many Recruitment and Scheduling in Spatial Mobile Crowdsourcing,” IEEE Access, March 2020.
- O. Bouahmed, H. Ghazzai, H. Besbes, and Y. Massoud, “A Generic Spatiotemporal Scheduling for Autonomous UAVs: A Reinforcement Learning-based Approach,” IEEE Open Journal of Vehicular Technology, March 2020.
- N. Dhieb, H. Ghazzai, H. Besbes, and Y. Massoud, “A Secure AI-Driven Architecture for Automated Insurance Systems: Fraud Detection and Risk Measurement”, IEEE Access, March 2020.
- M. Lucic, H. Ghazzai, and Y. Massoud, “A Generalized Dynamic Planning Framework for Green UAV-Assisted Intelligent Transportation System Infrastructure,” IEEE Systems Journal, February 2020.
- A. Hamrouni, H. Ghazzai, M. Fikra, and Y. Massoud, “A Spatial Mobile Crowdsourcing Framework for Event Reporting,” IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems, January 2020.