Once I knew about KAUST, I understood it is a great place to study and make research while enjoying its friendly community.
Thus, I decided to join a VSRP for my master thesis, which confirmed my intention to apply for Ph.D.
Even if my major is about Electrical Energy Engineering, I am fascinated to learn Communication Engineering because of the tendency to combine both in innovative applications (e.g., Smart Grids).
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Palermo – Italy, 2019
- B.S. in Energy Engineering, University of Palermo – Italy, 2017
- Visiting Student Research Program in nanofabrication at KAUST in Spring 2019, under prof. Muhammad Mustafa Hussain’s supervision
Honors & Awards
- Collaboration for “18th IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering” and “4th International Forum on Research and Technologies for Society and Industry”.
- Selected among to join the “E3 – EPFL Excellence in Engineering” internship program under prof. Farhad Rachidi’s supervision.
- Master thesis dissertation rewarded cum laude and unanimous appreciation of the commitee for its high technological content.
Al-Khawarizmi Applied Math. Building (Bldg. #1) – level 3
Maurilio Matracia is a PhD student under the supervision of Prof. Mohamed-Slim Alouini at the Communication Theory Lab (CTL) in King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
Education and Early Career
Maurilio studied at the University of Palermo (Italy), where he received both a B.S. and a M.S. degrees in Energy Engineering and Electrical Engineering (respectively) with a focus on power systems.
His bachelor thesis involved evolutionary algorithms in order to study the influence of the soil non-homogeneity on the design of grounding systems, whereas his master thesis based on the fabrication of Silicon-on-Insulator (SoI) devices for applications such as lithography, energy harvesting, and filtering.
Maurilio’s career started in 2014 as a private teacher of Mathematics, Physics, and Circuits for undergraduate and high school students. Then, during Summer 2017 he worked as a designer of power systems and air conditioning systems. Finally, he joined the Visiting Students Research Program (VSRP) at KAUST to complete his master thesis research and internship.
He’s interested in youth development and scientific research in the fields of both Electrical Engineering (e.g., smart grids, electromagnetic compatibility, communications) and Computer Science (e.g., information networks, data science).
Honors and Awards
In 2018, Maurilio has been selected to collaborate for both the “18th IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering” and the “4th International Forum on Research and Technologies for Society and Industry”, receiving a certificate of appreciation for the first one and a financial reward for both.
In 2019, he has been selected among more than 2,000 students to join the “E3 – EPFL Excellence in Engineering” internship program under prof. Farhad Rachidi’s supervision.
In the same year, his master thesis dissertation has been rewarded cum laude and has unanimously received the appreciation of the commitee for its high technological content.
The first paper (about the nano-aperture template developed for various aforementioned applications developed during the VSRP) is expected to be published soon with doct. Nazek El-Atab and prof. Muhammad Mustafa Hussain.