- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, University College London, UK (2014)
- MSc (Eng.) in Engineering Physics, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (2009)
Honors & Awards
- EPSRC PhD Scholarship Award, 2009-2014
- EPSRC NCSML Award for PDRA Collaboration, May 2015
Dr. Joakim Beck is a post-doctoral research fellow of the Stochastic Numerics research group lead by Prof. Raúl Tempone in the Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences & Engineering (CEMSE) division at KAUST. Before joining KAUST in 2016, he held a research associate position (2013-2016) at the Department of Statistical Science, University College London (UCL). He obtained a PhD in Engineering at UCL in 2014 after completing an MSc (Eng.) degree in Engineering Physics at the Royal Institute of Technology [KTH] in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Beck, J., Nobile, F., Tamellini, L. and Tempone, R., 2014. A quasi-optimal sparse grids procedure for groundwater flows. In Spectral and High Order Methods for Partial Differential Equations-ICOSAHOM 2012 (pp. 1-16). Springer International Publishing.
- J. Beck, F. Nobile, L. Tamellini, R. Tempone, Convergence of quasi-optimal stochastic Galerkin methods for a class of PDEs with random coefficients, Computers & Mathematics with Applications. Volume 67, Issue 4, March 2014, Pages 732–751.
- Brown, S., Beck, J., Mahgerefteh, H. and Fraga, E.S., 2013. Global sensitivity analysis of the impact of impurities on CO 2 pipeline failure. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 115, pp.43-54.
- Beck, J., Tempone, R., Nobile, F. and Tamellini, L., 2012. On the optimal polynomial approximation of stochastic PDEs by Galerkin and collocation methods. Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, 22(09), p.1250023.
- Bäck, J., Nobile, F., Tamellini, L. and Tempone, R., 2011. Stochastic spectral Galerkin and collocation methods for PDEs with random coefficients: a numerical comparison. In Spectral and High Order Methods for Partial Differential Equations (pp. 43-62). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Beck, J., Nobile, F., Tamellini, L. and Tempone, R., 2011, November. Implementation of optimal Galerkin and collocation approximations of PDEs with random coefficients. In ESAIM: Proceedings (Vol. 33, pp. 10-21). EDP Sciences.