- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge, 2006-2008
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, University of Mainz, 2006
- Diploma in Chemistry, University of Marburg, 2003
His current research focuses on the photophysics of excitonic solar cells, specifically processes such as exciton dissociation, charge carrier generation, transport and recombination in polymer and small molecule organic and hybrid solar cells. He studies these processes by various steady-state and transient all-optical and electro-optical techniques, for instance, transient absorption pump-probe spectroscopy and time-resolved photoluminescence spectroscopy.
- F. Etzold, I.A. Howard, N. Forler, A. Melnyk, D. Andrienko, M.R. Hansen, F. Laquai, "Sub-ns Triplet State Formation by Non-Geminate Recombination in PSBTBT:PC70BM and PCPDTBT:PC60BM Organic Solar Cells", Energy Environ. Sci. 2015, accepted.
- C. Dyer-Smith, I.A. Howard, C. Cabanetos, A. El Labban, P.M. Beaujuge, F. Laquai, "Interplay Between Side-Chain Pattern, Polymer Aggregation, and Charge Carrier Dynamics in PBDTTPD:PCBM Bulk-Heterojunction Solar Cells", Adv. Energy Mater. 2015, DOI: 10.1002/aenm.201401778.
- D. Gehrig, S. Roland, I.A. Howard, V. Kamm, H. Mangold, D. Neher, F. Laquai, "Efficiency-Limiting Processes in Low-bandgap Polymer:Perylene Diimide Photovoltaic Blends", J. Phys. Chem. C 2014, 118 (35), 20077-20085.
- H. Mangold, A.A. Bakulin, I.A. Howard, C. Kästner, D.A.M. Egbe, H. Hoppe, F. Laquai, "Control of Charge Generation and Recombination in Ternary Polymer/Polymer:Fullerene Photovoltaic Blends using Amorphous and Semi-crystalline Copolymers as Donor", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2014, 16 (38), 20329-20337.
- A. Sharenko, D. Gehrig, F. Laquai, T.-Q. Nguyen, "The Effect of Solvent Additive on the Charge Generation and Photovoltaic Performance of a Solution-Processed Small Molecule:Perylene Diimide Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cell", Chem. Mater. 2014, 26 (14), 4109-4118.