Office: Room 4426, Building 1, desert-side
Professor Tzavaras' courses
- Ph.D., Applied Mathematics, Brown University, U.S., 1985
- M.Sc., Applied Mathematics, Brown University, U.S., 1983
- Diploma, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 1981
Athanasios (Thanos) Tzavaras is Professor in the Applied Mathematics and Computational Science program (AMCS) and Principal Investigator of the Applied Partial Differential Equations (AppliedPDE) research group at the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia. Professor Tzavaras' research focus lies on Nonlinear Analysis, Continuum Physics and Kinetic Theory
Education and career
Tzavaras obtained a Diploma in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens, Greece, and subsequently moved to USA, where he obtained M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Applied Mathematics from Brown University. He held academic positions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (1987-2005), University of Maryland (2005-2009) and University of Crete, Greece (2002-04 and 2010-2014) and visiting positions in Purdue University, Stanford University, Ecole Polytechnique and University Paris VI.
Areas of expertise and current scientific interests
Professor Tzavaras' research interests include mathematical modelling, and the analysis and computation of partial differential equations arising in fluid mechanics and material modelling across multiple scales.
Within partial differential equations his interests are in the subjects:
- hyperbolic conservation laws
- analysis of advection-diffusion equations and systems
- systems of partial differential equations from mathematical physics
Within Applied Mathematics he is interested in:
- singularity formation in solid mechanics (cavitation, shear bands, fracture),
- multi-scale analysis in material modelling and the dynamics of discrete lattice systems
- hydrodynamic limits and kinetic theory for dilute polymeric systems.
Marie-Currie Fellow 2002-03.
Fellow of the European Academy of Sciences (elected 2022)
Tzavaras is a member of the American Mathematical Society (AMS), the Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), and of the International Society for the Interaction of Mechanics and Mathematics.
Tzavaras is a Corresponding Editor of the SIAM Journal for Mathematical Analysis, and an Associate Editor of the Journal of Analysis and its Applications (ZAA).