Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.
2017 – Present: Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, KAUST, Saudi Arabia
2015 - 2017: M.Sc. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Malaysia
2010 - 2014: B.Eng. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Malaysia
- Graduate Researcher and Teaching Assistant, Center of Innovative Nanostructures and Nanodevices, UTP.
- Research Intern, Photonics Laboratory, KAUST.
Scientific and Professional Membership
- Student Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Student Member of The Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Student Member of Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE)
- Graduate Engineer of Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)
Honors and Awards
- 2021: Optics and Photonics Education Scholarship by SPIE
- 2020: Outstanding Paper Award in 2020 by Light: Science & Applications (Nature Publishing Group)
- 2020: Top Cited Paper Award (Saudi Arabia) by IOP Publishing
- 2020: Outstanding Reviewer award by Semiconductor Science and Technology (IOP Publishing)
- 2017: KAUST Fellowship for Graduate Studies
- 2017: Postgraduate Award for Outstanding Project in Material, Process and Product by IEEE Electron Devices Society (EDS) Malaysia Chapter
- 2015: MyBrain15 Scholarship for Graduates Studies by Malaysia's Ministry of Higher Education
- 2014: Innovation Award by IEEE Circuits and Systems Society (CASS) Malaysia Chapter
Chun Hong Kang is a Ph.D. Student in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Photonics Laboratory, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). Prior to joining KAUST, he obtained his B.Eng. and M.Sc. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS. His current research focuses on the development of high-speed optoelectronics materials and devices for their eventual applications in optical wireless communication, with over 40 authored/co-authored publications in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings.
Serving for the scientific community, he has also contributed as the technical reviewers for OSA, IEEE, AIP, IOP & Wiley's journals (e.g., Photonics Research, Applied Physics Letters, Photonics Journal, Optics Express, Optical Materials Express and Applied Optics). He is also a student member of IEEE, SPIE and OSA.
- Optoelectronics materials and devices (e.g. photodetector, LED, laser, SLD)
- Optical wireless communication
- C. H. Kang, I. Dursun, G. Liu, L. Sinatra, X. Sun, M. Kong, J. Pan, P. Maity, E.-N. Ooi, T. K. Ng, O. F. Mohammed, O. M. Bakr, and B. S. Ooi, “High-speed color-converting photodetector with all-inorganic CsPbBr3 perovskite nanocrystals for ultraviolet light communication,” Light: Science & Applications 8, 94 (2019). (*Selected for "Outstanding Paper Award in 2020" by Light: Science & Applications - Nature Publishing Group )
- C. H. Kang, G. Liu, C. Lee, O. Alkhazragi, J. M. Wagstaff, K.-H. Li, F. Alhawaj, T. K. Ng, J. S. Speck, S. Nakamura, S. P. DenBaars, and B. S. Ooi, “Semipolar (2021) InGaN/GaN micro-photodetector for gigabit-per-second visible light communication,” Applied Physics Express 13, 0141001 (2020). (*Selected for "Top Cited Paper Award (Saudi Arabia) in 2020" by IOP Publishing)
- O. Alkhazragi, C. H. Kang, M. Kong, G. Liu, C. Lee, K.-H. Li, H. Zhang, J. M. Wagstaff, F. Alhawaj, T. K. Ng, J. S. Speck, S. Nakamura, S. P. DenBaars, and B. S. Ooi, “7.4-Gbit/s visible-light communication utilizing wavelength-selective semipolar micro-photodetector,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 32(13), 767-770 (2020).
- C. H. Kang, A. Trichili, O. Alkhazragi, H. Zhang, R. C. Subedi, Y. Guo, S. Mitra, C. Shen, I. S. Roqan, T. K. Ng, M.-S. Alouini, and B. S. Ooi, “Ultraviolet-to-blue color-converting scintillating-fibers photoreceiver for 375-nm laser-based underwater wireless optical communication,” Optics Express 27(21), 30450-30461 (2019).
- C. H. Kang, C. Shen, M. S. M. Saheed, N. M. Mohamed, T. K. Ng, B. S. Ooi and Z. A. Burhanudin, “Carbon nanotube-graphene composite film as transparent conductive electrode for GaN-based light-emitting diodes,” Applied Physics Letters 109, 081902 (2016).
- K.-H. Li*, C. H. Kang*, J.-H. Min, N. Alfaraj, J.-W. Liang, L. Braic, Z. Guo, M. N. Hedhili, T. K. Ng, and B. S. Ooi, “Single-crystalline all-oxide α–γ–β heterostructures for deep-ultraviolet photodetection,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 12(48), 53932–53941 (2020). (*Equal contributing authors)
- A. Tankimanova*, C. H. Kang*, O. Alkhazragi*, H. Tang*, M. Kong, L. Sinatra, M. Lutfullin, D. Li, S. Ding, B. Xu, O. M. Bakr, K. Wang, X. Sun, T. K. Ng, and B. S. Ooi, "Colloidol PbS quantum dots for visible-to-near-infrared optical-internet-of-things," IEEE Photonics Journal 13(2), 7901011 (2021). (*Equal contributing authors)
- (Invited review) T. K. Ng*, J. A. Holguin-Lerma*, C. H. Kang*, I. Ashry, H. Zhang, G. Bucci, and B. S. Ooi, “Group-III-nitride and halide-perovskite semiconductor gain media for amplified spontaneous emission and lasing applications,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 54(14), 143001 (2021). (*Equal contributing authors)
- (Invited review) M. Kong, C. H. Kang, O. Alkhazragi, X. Sun, Y. Guo, M. Sait, J. A. Holguin-Lerma, T. K. Ng, and B. S. Ooi, “A survey on energy-autonomous solar cell receivers for satellite-air-ground-ocean optical wireless communication,” Progress in Quantum Electronics 74, 100300 (2020).
- (Invited review) X. Sun, C. H. Kang, M. Kong, O. Alkhazragi, Y. Guo, M. Ouhssain, Y. Weng, B. H. Jones, T. K. Ng, and B. S. Ooi, “A review on practical considerations and solutions in underwater wireless optical communication,” Journal of Lightwave Technology 38(2), 421-431 (2020).
- (Invited review) N. Alfaraj, J.-W. Min, C. H. Kang, A. A. Alatawi, D. Priante, R. C. Subedi, M. Tangi, T. K. Ng, and B. S. Ooi, “Deep-ultraviolet integrated photonic and optoelectronic devices: A prospect of the hybridization of group III–nitrides, III–oxides, and two-dimensional materials,” Journal of Semiconductors 40(12), 121801 (2019).
- (Post-deadline paper) C. H. Kang, I. Dursun, G. Liu, L. Sinatra, X. Sun, M. Kong, J. Pan, P. Maity, E.-N. Ooi, T. K. Ng, O. F. Mohammed, O. M. Bakr, and B. S. Ooi, “High-speed ultraviolet-C photodetector based on frequency down-converting CsPbBr3 perovskite nanocrystals on silicon platform,” in IEEE Photonics Conference (IPC), San Antonio, Texas, USA, 29 September-3 October 2019.
- (Post-deadline paper) C. H. Kang, O. Alkhazragi, L. Sinatra, S. Alshaibani, K.-H. Li, M. Kong, M. Lutfullin, O. M. Bakr, T. K. Ng, and B. S. Ooi, "All-inorganic halide-perovskite-polymer luminescent fibers for high-bitrate ultraviolet free-space optical communication," in IEEE Photonics Conference (IPC), all-virtual, 18 - 21 October 2021.
- C. H. Kang, G. Liu, C. Lee, O. Alkhazragi, J. M. Wagstaff, K.-H. Li, F. Alhawaj, T. K. Ng, J. S. Speck, S. Nakamura, S. P. DenBaars, and B. S. Ooi, “1.5-Gbit/s filter-free optical communication link based on wavelength-selective semipolar (20-21) InGaN/GaN micro-photodetector,” in Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), San Jose, USA, 10-15 May 2020.