Essam Mansour was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at InfoCloud Research Group (CLOUD) at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), worked with Professor Panagiotis Kalnis. He contributed to research activities of the KAUST InfoCloud Research Group including leading a research project aiming at developing an elastic database system for processing very large strings based on the cloud infrastructure. This system is to support scientific data management, as a data-intensive application. Prior to joining KAUST, Essam was a Research Associate at the School of Information Technology at the International University in Germany. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT), Ireland. He graduated from Cairo University, Egypt in 2003 with an M.Sc. degree in Information Systems. He also holds a first-class undergraduate degree in Information Systems from the same university.
Essam's research interests span the areas of Databases and Information management with a focus on:
- Cloud Computing: Cloud Data Analytics - Elastic Scaleout Algorithms, Cost-Effective Management.
- Parallel Systems: Cache-Efficient Algorithms - Load Balancing, Job Scheduling in HPC and Cloud Clusters.
- String Processing: Suffix Trees - Sequence Indexing, Large-scale String Matching, String Query Optimization.
- Mobile Computing: Context-Aware Query Management - Energy-Aware Algorithm.
- Essam Mansour, Amin Allam, Spiros Skiadopoulos, and Panos Kalnis. ERA: Efficient Serial and Parallel Suffix Tree Construction for Very Long Strings. In volume 5 of Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment (PVLDB).
- Essam Mansour and Hagen Höpfner. An Approach to Detecting Relevant Updates to Cached Data Using XML and Active Databases. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT 2009).
- Essam Mansour and Hagen Höpfner. An XML-Based Model for Supporting Context-Aware Query and Cache Management. In Proceedings of the 26th British National Conference on Databases BNCOD, 2009. Selected as one of the best papers.
- Essam Mansour and Hagen Höpfner. Towards an XML-Based Query and Contextual Information Model in Context-Aware Mobile Information Systems. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Mobile Data Management: Systems, Services and Middleware (MDM 2009).
- Hagen Höpfner, Essam Mansour, and Daniela Nicklas. Review of Data Management Mechanisms on Mobile Devices. it - information technology, 2009.
- Christian Bunse, Hagen Höpfner, Essam Mansour, and Suman Roychoudhury. Exploring the Energy Consumption of Data Sorting Algorithms in Embedded and Mobile Environments. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Mobile Data Management: Systems, Services and Middleware (MDM 2009).
- Essam Mansour and Hagen Höpfner. An XML-Based Manipulation and Query Language for Rule-based Information. The 3rd International Symposium on Rules, Applications and Interoperability (RuleML 2009).
- Mohammed Al-Kateb, Essam Mansour, and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi. CME: A Temporal Relational Model for Efficient Coalescing. The 12th International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning (TIME 2005).