- Ph.D. Marine Biology, James Cook University, Australia, 2007
- B.S. (summa cum laude), Zoology, University of Arkansas, 2001
- Larval connectivity and dispersal of reef fishes
- Movement ecology of reef organisms
- Biodiversity and evolutionary biology of Red Sea fauna
- Berumen, M & M Pratchett. Recovery without resilience: Persistent disturbance and long-term shifts in the structure of fish and coral communities at Tiahura Reef, Moorea. Coral Reefs 25: 647-653, 2006.
- Almany, G, M Berumen, S Thorrold, S Planes, & G Jones. Local replenishment of coral reef fish populations in a marine reserve. Science 316: 742-744, 2007.
- Berumen, M, G Almany, S Planes, G Jones, P Saenz-Agudelo, S Thorrold. Persistence of self-recruitment and patterns of larval connectivity in a marine protected area network. Ecology and Evolution 2: 444-452, 2012.
- McMahon, K, M Berumen, S Thorrold. Linking habitat mosaics and connectivity in a coral reef seascape. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 109: 15372-15376, 2012.
- Almany, G, R Hamilton, M Matawai, M Bode, T Potuku, P Saenz-Agudelo, S Planes, M Berumen, K Rhodes, S Thorrold, G Russ, G Jones. Dispersal of grouper larvae drives local resource sharing in a coral reef fishery. Current Biology 23: 626-630, 2013.
- Berumen, M, W Bass, J Bouwmeester, D Catania, J Cochran, A Hoey, M Khalil, S Miyake, M Mughal, J Spaet, P Saenz-Agudelo. The status of coral reef ecology research in the Red Sea. Coral Reefs 32: 737-748, 2013.