- Doctor in Engineering – Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS).
- School of Engineering, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul (PUCRS).
Luis Espath worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at Professor Raul F. Tempone's Stochastic Numerics Research Group (STOCHNUM) at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
Luis's research interests included Aerodynamic and Structural Shape Optimization, Gravity Currents via Direct Numerical Simulation, Navier-Stokes-Cahn-Hilliard systems, Fluid mechanics, Continuum Mechanics, Solid Mechanics, and Shape Optimization.
- Clavijo, S. P., A. F. Sarmiento, L. F. R. Espath, Lisandro Dalcin, A. M. A. Cortes, and V. M. Calo. "Reactive n-species Cahn–Hilliard system: A thermodynamically-consistent model for reversible chemical reactions." Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 350 (2019): 143-154.
- Beck, Joakim, Ben Mansour Dia, Luis FR Espath, and Raul Tempone. "Multilevel Double Loop Monte Carlo and Stochastic Collocation Methods with Importance Sampling for Bayesian Optimal Experimental Design." arXiv preprint arXiv:1811.11469 (2018).
- Francisco, E. P., L. F. R. Espath, S. Laizet, and J. H. Silvestrini. "Reynolds number and settling velocity influence for finite-release particle-laden gravity currents in a basin." Computers & Geosciences 110 (2018): 1-9.
"Nesterov-aided Stochastic Gradient Methods using Laplace Approximation for Bayesian Design Optimization." arXiv preprint arXiv:1807.00653 (2018).
- Francisco, Ezequiel P., L. F. R. Espath, and J. H. Silvestrini. "Direct numerical simulation of bi-disperse particle-laden gravity currents in the channel configuration." Applied Mathematical Modelling 49 (2017): 739-752.
"On the thermodynamics of the Swift–Hohenberg theory." Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics 29, no. 6 (2017): 1335-1345.
LFR Espath, AF Sarmiento, P Vignal, BON Varga, AMA Cortes, L Dalcin, VM Calo, Energy Exchange Analysis in Droplet Dynamics via the Navier–Stokes–Cahn–Hilliard Model, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Apr 2016.
- LFR Espath, LC Pinto, S Laizet, JH Silvestrini, High-fidelity simulations of the lobe-and-cleft structures and the deposition map in particle-driven gravity currents , Physics of Fluids, 2015.
- LFR Espath, AL Braun, AM Awruch, LD Dalcin, A NURBS-based finite element model applied to geometrically nonlinear elastodynamics using acorotational approach , International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 2015.
- LFR Espath, AL Braun, AM Awruch, S Maghous, NURBS-based three-dimensional analysis of geometrically nonlinear elastic structures , European Journal of Mechanics-A/Solids, 2014.
- LFR Espath, LC Pinto, S Laizet, JH Silvestrini, Two- and three-dimensional Direct Numerical Simulation of particle-laden gravity currents, Computers & Geosciences, 2014.
- RV Linn, LFR Espath, AM Awruch, Optimal shape ofaxisymmetric solids using NURBS and automatic differentiation, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 2014.
- LFR Espath, RV Linn, AM Awruch, Shape optimization of shell structures based on NURBS description using automatic differentiation, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 2011.