Professor Wonka's courses
- M.S. Vienna University of Technology, Urban Planning, 2002
- Ph.D. Vienna University of Technology, Computer Science, 2001
- M.S. Vienna University of Technology, Computer Science, 1997
Honors & Awards
- NSF CAREER Award, 2006
- Best Proposal Award for GAMEWORLD, 2006
- Best Paper Award at VAST 2006 – 2nd place (Eurographics Symposium on Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Cultural Heritage)
- Erwin Schrödinger Fellowship 2003
- Erwin Schrödinger Fellowship 2002
- Günther Enderle Award for the best paper at Eurographics 2001
- Best Student Paper Award at Eurographics 2001
Peter Wonka is an Austrian computer scientist and a professor of Computer Science Program (CS) at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). He is also the Associate Director of the Visual Computing Center (VCC) at KAUST.
Education and early career
Wonka holds a Master of Science in Computer Science (Dipl.-Ing.), a Master of Science in Urban Planning (Dipl.-Ing.) and a Ph.D. in Computer Science (Dr. techn.) from the Vienna University of Technology. Before joining KAUST as a Professor of Computer Science, he has been a Postdoctoral Researcher, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA, and Associate Professor, Arizona State University, USA.
Areas of expertise and current scientific interests
Professor Wonka interests focus on Deep Learning in Visual Computing, Computer Graphics, Computer Vision, Visualization, Remote Sensing and Image Processing.
Why computer science?
I believe Computer Science has the most exciting topics of research.