I am really lucky to be at KAUST, where I have an excellent opportunity to study the application of data analysis and machine learning into complex networks and systems.
Duc Minh Nguyen is a Ph.D. student under the supervision of Professor Mohamed-Slim Alouini at the Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Science and Engineering (CEMSE) Division in King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
Education and Early Career
Minh is a graduate from Dankook University, Republic of Korea (2018) where he received a B.Eng. Degree in Mobile Systems Engineering, with a minor in International Business Administration.
During his time at Dankook University, Minh worked on Social Networks Analysis. He developed an accurate spatial clustering algorithm based on spatio-textual information on social media such as Twitter. The algorithm provides an insightful understanding of jointly utilizing spatial and textual information in designing density-based clustering, which can apply to several location-based services such as geo-marketing, geo-targeting, and Beacons.
Regarding his industry experience, in March 2018, Minh attended a five-month training at Daewoong Pharmaceutical in Seoul, Korea, where he did analysis about French cosmetics market and proposed a marketing plan accordingly.
Minh is proficient in Python and C/C++. He is interested in the applications of data analysis and machine learning into networks and systems.
Honors and Awards
Minh received a fully-funded scholarship, in 2014, for undergraduate study from Dankook University. In two consecutive years of 2017 and 2018, he was selected by the Korean Ministry of Education and Daewoong Pharmaceutical/Daewoong Foundation for the scholarships for Excellent International Students in Korea. In 2018, he was awarded the Outstanding Undergraduate Award by Dankook University.
- Ph.D. in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia (2020-present)
- M.S. in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia (2018-2020)
- B.Eng. in Mobile Systems Engineering, Dankook University, Yongin, Republic of Korea (September 2014 - August 2018).
Awards and Distinctions
- 2018-Present: KAUST Fellowship
- 2018: Dankook University Outstanding Undergraduate Award
- 2014-2018: Dankook University Fully Funded Merit Scholarship for Undergraduate Study
- 2017-2018: Korean Ministry of Education Merit Scholarship for Excellent International Students in Korea
- 2017-2018: Daewoong Pharmaceutical/ Daewoong Foundation Merit Scholarship for Excellent Foreign Students