Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.
- MSc. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Malaysia, 2016.
- BEng. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Malaysia, 2014.
- Graduate Researcher and Teaching Assistant, Center of Innovative Nanostructures and Nanodevices, UTP.
- Research Intern, Photonics Laboratory, KAUST.
Scientific and Professional Membership
- Student Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- Student Member of The Optical Society of America (OSA).
- Graduate Engineer of Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM).
Honors and Awards
- Innovation Award, IEEE Circuits and Systems Society (CAS) Malaysia Chapter, 2014.
- 3rd Place – Electronics Track, IEEE Malaysia FYP Competition, IEEE Malaysia Chapter, 2014.
- MyBrain15 Scholarship for Graduate Studies, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, 2015.
- Postgraduate Outstanding Project – Material, Process, and Devices, IEEE Electron Devices Society (EDS) Malaysia Chapter, 2017.
- KAUST Fellowship for Graduate Studies, Saudi Arabia, 2017.
Chun Hong Kang joined Photonics Laboratory at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) in the Fall of 2017. He obtained his BEng. (2014) and MSc. (2016) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Malaysia. Prior to joining KAUST, he completed his MS thesis based on nanocarbon-based material as a transparent conductive electrode for various semiconductors and optoelectronic devices.
His current research focuses on high-speed optoelectronics devices for eventual applications in optical wireless communication and solid-state lighting.
- Semiconductor optoelectronics devices (Photodetector, LED, Laser, SLD)
- Micro and nanofabrication processes
- C. H. Kang, I. Dursun, G. Liu, L. Sinatra, X. Sun, M. Kong, J. Pan, P. Maity, E.-N. Ooi, T. K. Ng, O. F. Mohammed, O. M. Bakr, and B. S. Ooi, “High-speed color-converting photodetector with all-inorganic CsPbBr3 perovskite nanocrystals for ultraviolet light communication,” Light: Science & Applications 8, 94 (2019).
- C. H. Kang, G. Liu, C. Lee, O. Alkhazragi, J. M. Wagstaff, K.-H. Li, F. Alhawaj, T. K. Ng, J. S. Speck, S. Nakamura, S. P. DenBaars, and B. S. Ooi, “Semipolar (2021) InGaN/GaN micro-photodetector for gigabit-per-second visible light communication,” Applied Physics Express 13, 0141001 (2020).
- C. H. Kang, A. Trichili, O. Alkhazragi, H. Zhang, R. C. Subedi, Y. Guo, S. Mitra, C. Shen, I. S. Roqan, T. K. Ng, M.-S. Alouini, and B. S. Ooi, “Ultraviolet-to-blue color-converting scintillating-fibers photoreceiver for 375-nm laser-based underwater wireless optical communication,” Optics Express 27(21), 30450-30461 (2019).
- C. H. Kang, C. Shen, M. S. M. Saheed, N. M. Mohamed, T. K. Ng, B. S. Ooi and Z. A. Burhanudin, “Carbon nanotube-graphene composite film as transparent conductive electrode for GaN-based light-emitting diodes,” Applied Physics Letters 109, 081902, (2019).
- (Selected as post-deadline paper) C. H. Kang, I. Dursun, G. Liu, L. Sinatra, X. Sun, M. Kong, J. Pan, P. Maity, E.-N. Ooi, T. K. Ng, O. F. Mohammed, O. M. Bakr, and B. S. Ooi, “High-speed ultraviolet-C photodetector based on frequency down-converting CsPbBr3 perovskite nanocrystals on silicon platform,” in IEEE Photonics Conference (IPC), San Antonio, Texas, USA, 29 September-3 October 2019.
- K.-H. Li, N. Alfaraj, C. H. Kang, L. Braic, M. N. Hedhili, Z. Guo, T. K. Ng, and B. S. Ooi, “Deep-ultraviolet photodetection using single-crystalline β-Ga2O3/NiO heterojunctions,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 11(38), 35095-35104 (2019).
- M. Kong, J. Lin, C. H. Kang, C. Shen, Y. Guo, X. Sun, M. Sait, Y. Weng, H. Zhang, T. K. Ng, and B. S. Ooi, “Toward self-powered and reliable visible light communication using amorphous silicon thin-film solar cells,” Optics Express 27(24), 34542-34551 (2019).
- A. A. Alatawi, J. A. Holguin-Lerma, C. H. Kang, C. Shen, R. C. Subedi, A. M. Albadri, A. Y. Alyamani, T. K. Ng, B. S. Ooi, “High-power blue superluminescent diode for high CRI lighting and high-speed visible light communication,” Optics Express 26 (20), 26355 (2018).
- (Invited Review) N. Alfaraj, J.-W. Min, C. H. Kang, A. A. Alatawi, D. Priante, R. C. Subedi, M. Tangi, T. K. Ng, and B. S. Ooi, “Deep-ultraviolet integrated photonic and optoelectronic devices: A prospect of the hybridization of group III–nitrides, III–oxides, and two-dimensional materials,” Journal of Semiconductors 40 (6) (2019).
- (Invited Review) J.-W. Min, D. Priante, M. Tangi, G. Liu, C. H. Kang, A. Prabaswara, C. Zhao, L. Al-Maghrabi, Y. Alaskar, A. M. Albadri, A. Y. Alyamani, T. K. Ng, and B. S. Ooi, “Unleashing the potential of molecular beam epitaxy grown AlGaN-based ultraviolet-spectrum nanowires-devices,” Journal of Nanophotonics 12 (4), 043511 (2018).
- (Invited Review) H. M. Oubei, C. Shen, A. Kammoun, E. Zedini, K.-H. Park, X. Sun, G. Liu, C. H. Kang, T. K. Ng, M.-S. Alouini, and B. S. Ooi, “Light-based underwater wireless communications,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 57 (8S2), 08PA06 (2018).