- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, KAUST (2013 - 2017).
- M.Sc. Materials Science and Engineering, KAUST (2011 - 2013).
- B.Sc. Materials Physics, Fudan University (2007 -2011).
- Jun 2012 - Aug 2012 Internship at Compound Semiconductor Technology Lab, Lehigh University.
- Sep 2010 - Dec 2010 Internship at National Microanalysis Center, Shanghai.
- Sep 2010 - Jul 2011 Founding Member of Nanomembrane Group, Fudan University.
Scientific and Professional Membership
- Student Member of IEEE, IEEE Photonics Society, IEEE Electron Devices Society.
- Student Member of OSA and SPIE.
Honors and Awards
- Fudan-at-Yale Summer Session Merit Scholarship
Chao Shen received his Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering under the supervision of Professor Boon Ooi at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). Currently, Chao is working as a Consultant at KAUST, with KAUST Innovation and Economic Development.
Chao's research interests included GaN optoelectronics, III-nitride diode lasers, Photonic integrated circuits, and Laser-based solid-state lighting, visible-light communications, III-nitride photonic integrated circuit, GaN-based laser diodes, superluminescent diodes (SLDs), micro-LEDs, and VCSELs, laser-based solid-state lighting (SSL), free-space visible light communication (VLC), and underwater wireless optical communication (UWOC).
- Chao Shen, Changmin Lee, Edgars Stegenburgs, Jorge Holguin Lerma, Tien Khee Ng, Shuji Nakamura, Steven P. DenBaars, Ahmed Y. Alyamani, Munir M. El-Desouki, and Boon S. Ooi, “Semipolar III-nitride quantum well waveguide photodetector integrated with laser diode for on-chip photonic system", Applied Physics Express, 10(4), 042201 (2017). DOI: 10.7567/APEX.10.042201
- Chao Shen, Gaoshan Huang, Yingchun Cheng, Ronggen Cao, Fei Ding, Udo Schwingenschlögl, Yongfeng Mei, "Thinning and functionalization of few-layer graphene sheets by CF4 plasma treatment". Nanoscale Res Lett. 2012 May 24;7(1):268 DOI: 10.1186/1556-276X-7-268
- Chao Shen, Tien Khee Ng, Boon S. Ooi. “Enabling area-selective potential-energy engineering in InGaN/GaN quantum wells by post-growth intermixing”. Optics Express, 23(6), 7991-7998 (2015). DOI: 10.1364/OE.23.007991
- Changmin Lee, Chao Shen, Hassan M. Oubei, Michael Cantore, Bilal Janjua, Tien Khee Ng, Robert M. Farrell, Munir M. El-Desouki, James S. Speck, Shuji Nakamura, Boon S. Ooi, and Steven P. DenBaars. “2 Gbit/s data transmission from an unfiltered laser-based phosphor-converted white lighting communication system”. Optics Express, 23(23), 29779-29787 (2015). DOI: 10.1364/OE.23.029779
- Chao Shen, Tien Khee Ng, John T. Leonard, Arash Pourhashemi, Hassan M. Oubei, Mohd S. Alias, Shuji Nakamura, Steven P. DenBaars, James S. Speck, Ahmed Y. Alyamani, Munir M. Eldesouki, and Boon S. Ooi. “High-modulation-efficiency, integrated waveguide modulator-laser diode at 448 nm”. ACS Photonics, 3 (2), pp 262–268, (2016). DOI: 10.1021/acsphotonics.5b00599
- Chao Shen, Tien Khee Ng, John T. Leonard, Arash Pourhashemi, Shuji Nakamura, Steven P. DenBaars, James S. Speck, Ahmed Y. Alyamani, Munir M. El-desouki, and Boon S. Ooi. “High-brightness semipolar (2021) blue InGaN/GaN superluminescent diodes for droop-free solid-state lighting and visible-light communications”. Optics Letters, 41(11), 2608-2611 (2016). DOI: 10.1364/OL.41.002608