The Next RC3 Research Seminar of 2023
The Resilient Computing and Cybersecurity Center (RC3) aims to help create a cosmopolitan scientific and technical culture of cybersecurity at KAUST.
Whether we just use, or we conceive and design, computer systems and networks; whether we are computer scientists, biologists, or mechanical engineers — cybersecurity cannot remain an afterthought in our agendas, else we risk falling victim to the old saying, «Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.»
As such, we have committed to regularly bringing in visiting specialists and giving talks which, besides their immediate scholarly research value, may help create an interdisciplinary research culture, on different subjects and levels. We will be as open as possible with our talks, and as a habit, we will advertise all talks that take place in the RC3 sphere.
But how not to overload the prospective audience, given so many talks and topics, at different levels of abstraction and depth? How to match the different interests regarding cybersecurity, of such a diverse palette of KAUST researchers?
RC3 talks are divided into three categories, serving different styles and purposes, as described below.
RC3 Research Seminars
Research Seminars are organized impulsively but regularly by RC3 under the initiative of its Principal Investigators (PIs). The seminars are carefully curated so that they are normally of interest to a wide range of researchers in RC3, as well as in CEMSE programs. They are high-quality research-oriented talks given by senior experts in their respective research areas, but in a way accessible to knowledgeable non-experts.
The Research Seminars take place on Thursday afternoons and are immediately followed by the "TGIT Social Event", a weekly gathering of all RC3 members, and all seminar attendees are invited to participate. An excellent opportunity as well to discuss with the speaker.
RC3 Distinguished Lectures
Distinguished Lectures are our prestigious season-oriented talk series. A full season is prepared and announced ahead of time (Spring, Autumn).
The invited lecturers are renowned top-notch researchers from both academia and industry. They are communicators with a broad and interdisciplinary appeal, not only to RC3 and CEMSE, but also to the wider research community at KAUST.
The Distinguished Lectures are scheduled as part of the ECE (Sundays, 12:00 - 13:00) or CS (Mondays, 12:00 - 13:00) Graduate Seminars.
Schedule for Distinguished Lectures
- March 20, 2023: Prof. Michael Reiter, Duke University, USA.
- April 3, 2023: Prof. Awais Rashid, University of Bristol, UK.
- May 8, 2023: Prof. N. Asokan, University of Waterloo, Canada.
Schedule for Research Seminars
- October 24, 2022: Prof. Roy Maxion, Carnegie Mellon University, USA.
- January 26, 2023: Prof. Mohammad Mannan, Concordia University, Montreal.
- February 2, 2023: Prof. David Bromberg, University of Rennes IRISA, France.
- February 9, 2023: Prof. Sven Dietrich, Hunter College, City University of New York (CUNY).
- March 9, 2023: Prof. Pramod Bhatotia, Technical University of Munich, Germany.
- May 4, 2023: Prof. Marcello Cinque, the University of Naples Federico II (UNINA), Italy.
- May 25, 2023: Prof. Fatma Alharbi, Taybah University, Yanbu, KSA.