PhD students Azamat and Thang demonstrate a novel fractal-based antenna for the first time which enables simultaneous operation at three important frequencies (GSM 900, GSM 1800 and 3 G 2.1 GHz). Complete rectenna system testing in a field has shown decent harvested energy which is suitable to power small sensor nodes of IoT applications. Rectenna has been implemented by additive manufacturing techniques (combination of 3D printing and screen printing) which enables cost savings as well as future mass manufacturing viability. The Antenna has been implemented on the package of the circuits (rectifier, matching network and battery), which is not typically the case as antennas are implemented on separate PCB. By utilizing System-on-Package (SoP) concept, size and cost of the harvester are reduced, and available space is optimized• The work was accepted at the prestigious Elsevier Nano Energy journal (IF=13). This work is in collaboration with Prof. Atif Shamim.
Congratulations Azamat and Thang.
- Abdullah Almansouri, Mahmoud Ouda and Khaled N. Salama,“A CMOS RF-to- DC Power Converter with 86% Efficiency and -19.2dBm Sensitivity”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol 66, no 5, pp 2409-2415, 2018 doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2785251
- Muhammad Fahad Farooqui , Muhammad Akram Karimi, Khaled Nabil Salama and Atif Shamim, 3D-Printed Disposable Wireless Sensors with Integrated Microelectronics for Large Area Environmental Monitoring" Advanced Materials Technologies, 2017, 2, 1700051 DOI: 10.1002/admt.201700051 [news] [more news]
- M. Ouda, W. Khalil and K.N. Salama, "Self-Biased Differential Rectifier with Enhanced Dynamic Range for Wireless Powering" IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, vol. 64, no. 5, pp 515-519, 2017 doi:10.1109/TCSII.2016.2591263
- M. Ouda, W. Khalil and K.N. Salama, "Wide-Range Adaptive RF-to-DC Power Converter for UHF RFIDs," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol 26, no 8, pp 634 - 6362016, 2016 10.1109/LMWC.2016.2586077
- M. Ouda, L. Marnat, A. Shamim, K N Salama, 5.2-GHz RF Power Harvesting Module in 0.18 μm CMOS for Biomedical Implantable Sensors, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol 61, n 5, pp 2177-2184, 2013
- L. Marnat, M. Ouda, M. Arsalan, K. Salama, A. Shamim, "On-chip implantable antennas for wireless power and data transfer in a glaucoma monitoring SoC", IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters (AWPL), vol 11, pp 1671-1674, 2012