I have always loved mathematics and its power to describe the world around us.
- M.S., Applied Mathematics, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, 2018
- B.Sc., Applied Mathematics, Nazarbayev University, Kazakhstan
Honors & Awards
- Semifinalist of programming contest, ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, NEERC region, 2016
- Silver Medal, International Mathematical Competition for University Students (IMC 2014, 2015)
- Silver Medal, International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO), 2013
- Bronze Medal, International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO), 2012
- Gold Medal, National Mathematical Olympiad (2013, 2012 )
Alibek Sailanbayev is a Ph.D. candidate in Applied Mathematics and Computational Science at Visual Computing Center (VCC) in King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), studying under the supervision of Professor Peter Richtarik in his research group.
Education and Early Career
Alibek obtained his bachelor degree Applied Mathematics from Nazarbayev University in Kazakhstan. He joined KAUST in Fall 2017 and received his M.S. degree in Applied Mathematics and Computational Sciences in December 2018. He is now pursuing Ph.D. studies.
Alibek took a Summer Internship at Loria/Inria in Nancy, France in 2015. He also was an intern at IST Austria in 2016.
His research interest include optimization, machine learning and algorithms.
Honors and Awards
Alibek won a golden medal in the National Mathematical Olympiad in 2013 and 2012. He participated in the International Mathematical Olympiad and won a bronze medal in IMO 2012 and a silver medal in IMO 2013. He was awarded silver medals at the International Mathematical Competition for University Students (IMC 2014, 2015). In 2016, he was a Semifinalist of the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest in NEERC region.
- R.M. Gower, N. Loizou, X. Qian, A. Sailanbayev, E. Shulgin, and P. Richtárik. SGD: General Analysis and Improved Rates, arXiv preprint arXiv:1901.09401, 2019
- A. Bibi, A. Sailanbayev, B. Ghanem, R.M. Gower, P. Richtárik. Improving SAGA via a probabilistic interpolation with gradient descent, arXiv preprint arXiv:1806.05633, 2018
- K. Adaricheva, J.B. Nation, G. Okimoto, V. Adarichev, A. Amanbekkyzy, S. Sarkar, A. Sailanbayev, N. Seidalin, K. Alibek. Measuring the Implications of the D-Basis in Analysis of Data in Biomedical Studies, International Conference on Formal Concept Analysis, 39-57, 2015
- M. Alam, A. Buzmakov, A. Napoli, A. Sailanbayev. Revisiting pattern structures for structured attribute sets, Proceedings of the Twelfth International Conference on Concept Lattices and Their Applications, 2015