- M.S., Statistics and Optimization, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia, 2018
- B.Sc., Financial Mathematics, Comenius University, Slovakia, 2017
Honors & Awards
- Data Science Summer School Best Poster Award, Ecole Polytechnique, 2018
- 2nd place, The CFA Institute Research Challenge, CFA Society Czech Republic, 2017
- Third prize, 23rd Internetional Mathematics Competition for University Students, American University in Bulgaria, University College London, 2016
- 1st place, Nitra Region Round of Mathematical Olympiad for High School Students, Slovenská komisia Matematickej olympiády, 2014
Samuel Horváth is a Ph.D. candidate at Visual Computing Center (VCC) in King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), studying under the supervision of Professor Peter Richtarik in his research group.
Education and Early Career
Samuel studied Financial Mathematics at Comenius University in Bratislava, Slovakia and obtained his bachelor in 2017. Then, he joined the MS/PhD program in Statistics and Optimization at KAUST in 2017.
In 2018, he had an internship (Machine Learning Intern) at Exponea for 3 months.
His research interest include Optimization for Big Data and Machine Learning, Statistics and Linear Algebra.
Honors and Awards
Samuel has many awards throughout his studying. In 2018, he won the Data Science Summer School Best Poster Award from École Polytechnique, France. In 2017, he was awarded the 2nd place at the CFA Institute Research Challenge hosted by CFA Society Czech Republic. He also won the Third Prize at the 27th Annual Vojtech Jarník International Mathematical Competition in 2016, and the 1st place in Nitra region round of Mathematical Olympiad for high school students in 2014.
- Dmitry Kovalev, Samuel Horváth and Peter Richtárik. Don't Jump Through Hoops and Remove Those Loops: SVRG and Katyusha are Better Without the Outer Loop, arXiv preprint arXiv:1901.08689, 2019.
- Samuel Horváth and Peter Richtárik. Nonconvex variance reduced optimization with arbitrary sampling, arXiv preprint arXiv:1809.04146, 2018. [Best Poster Award at Data Science Summer School, École Polytechnique, 2018]