Welcome to the integrated photonics lab! We are looking for highly motivated Ph.D. students and Postdocs with an academic background in optoelectronics, physics, material science, or other related areas. If you are interested in joining our lab, please send your CV, TOEFL score (if applicable), research or work experiences, and transcripts (with GPA and/or GPA ranking) to Dr. Yating Wan at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The professor would be happy to chat ahead of your applications.
Kindly check the below video to learn more about our lab :)
Prof. Wan's office: Bldg. 3, Room 3219
Office phone: +966-8081903
For student applicants
We are looking for highly motivated undergraduate or master graduates with an academic background in optoelectronics, physics, material science, or other related areas. Successful applicants will be offered a full-time scholarship which is worth approximately $75,000 USD a year.
This includes your:
- Free Tuition ($35,000)
- On-Campus Housing
- Medical Insurance ($15,000)
- Relocation costs (including visa & airfare)
- Living Allowance ($25,000 ~ 30,000 per year)
MS Students: Stipend rate: $20,000
(1) Initial stipend rate: $25,000
(2) Following completion of 30 credits: $30,000
(3) Following successful completion of research proposal & qualifying exam: $32,500
(1) Initial stipend rate: $20,000
(2) On award of MS Degree: $25,000
(3) On completion of 30 credits after award of MS Degree: $30,000
(4) On successful completion of Ph.D. research proposal & qualifying exam: $32,500
Details for KAUST Fellowship:
For students from Europe and North America, successful applicants with KAUST Discovery Doctoral Fellowship receive a generous package worth approximately USD 95,000 per year (https://admissions.kaust.edu.sa/Discovery_Fellowship.html).
For postdoctoral fellow applicants
The applicants are expected to have a solid publication record, capacity for teamwork and leadership, and strong experimental and/or theoretical background in semiconductor design and devices. The salary for postdoctoral fellows is extremely competitive and is commensurate with the applicant's qualifications and experience (roughly $60,000-$70,000 USD a year). Successful applicants will also receive attractive compensation and benefit packages provided by KAUST, including:
- Fully furnished housing free (up to a 2 bed-roomed townhouse)
- Free education at KAUST schools for the children
- Medical and dental insurance
- Job opportunities for spouse
KAUST Photonics Summer Camp 2023
The KAUST Photonics Summer Camp (PSC) is a sponsored research program from 4 weeks to 4 months. It comprises a core of hands-on, cutting-edge research projects in various areas of modern photonics, accompanied by workshops and technical training in using state-of-the-art nanofabrication and imaging facilities.
It offers undergraduates and Master's students from across the globe the opportunity to participate in a research project in contemporary areas of photonics, such as semiconductor lasers, photonic integrated circuits, quantum technologies, optical communications, neuromorphic computing, and hyper-vision systems.
To apply and to learn more: KAUST Photonics Summer Camp 2023
KAUST Saudi Summer Internship Program 2023
The KAUST Saudi Summer Internship (SSI) is a 6-8-week research program designed to introduce Saudi university students and recent graduates to research topics in Applied Mathematics and Computational Sciences, Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering and Statistics.
Participating students work on an individual research project mentored by leading scholars and experts, with the opportunity to showcase their work at the end of the program.
To apply and to learn more: KAUST Saudi Summer Internship
For visiting students
Our lab welcomes visiting students (3rd Year and above Baccalaureate or Master Students) in the fields of Optoelectronics from 1 month to 6 months. Available programs include Photonics summer camp, VSRP, VS
- Monthly stipend of 1,000 USD
- Private bedroom/bathroom
- Visa and airfare fees
- Health insurance
- Access to Core laboratories and major research and community facilities
Due to the travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we also provide the Remote Internship Program. Prospective students who are interested can apply to intern remotely at KAUST for up to 6 months.
KAUST ranks No. 1 in the world for citations per faculty (research impact) in the QS World University Rankings 2016/17 and QS World University Rankings 2015/16, two years in a row! In addition, KAUST was ranked #1 in the percentage of international students, #1 in the percentage of international faculty, and #19 in the world of the fastest rising universities for high-quality research output.
- KAUST is a premier research university in the world supported by a generous endowment (after Harvard and Yale). With a large group of world-leading faculty, an extremely low student/faculty ratio (6.7:1), and state-of-art facilities, KAUST has attracted a large group of exceptional students, professors, and staff.
- Through a Global Research Partnership, KAUST has built strong partnerships with other premier institutions (e.g., Stanford, UIUC, Berkeley, Cornell) and biggest companies. They provide students and researchers ample opportunities to work with other top scientists and to commercialize their research projects.
- KAUST has world-leading facilities for semiconductor material growth, device nano-fabrication, and characterizations. Those facilities are supported and maintained by excellent and experienced scientists and technicians to make full use.
- The students, staff, faculty, and their families enjoy enriched culture thanks to outstanding diversity (104 nationalities). In addition, KAUST's award-winning campus has everything you need to live, work, study, and play, including state-of-art fitness facilities, a golf course, numerous fine dining and casual restaurants, and elementary and secondary schools. And, of course, the scenic Red Sea is just steps away. There is something for everyone.
In summary, if you receive a full-scholarship offer from a top-10 graduate program in the US, you should accept it. Otherwise, KAUST would likely be the best place for you to be highly successful in the exciting graduate study, given the unparalleled resources and opportunities. Ph.D. students at KAUST typically have plentiful conference opportunities to visit the US and EU.
For administrative questions related to student application and admission, please check Frequently Asked Questions or email email@example.com.
For more information:
Studying at KAUST:
Living at KAUST:
Working at KAUST: