Professor Shamim's course
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, 2009
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, 2004
Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation
Honors & Awards
- Interviews on CBC TV “News at Six”, CTV Show “Tech Now”, CBC Radio Show “All in a Day” .
- Interviews in newspapers and magazines “USA Today”, “Ottawa Citizen”, “Ottawa Sun”, “Muslim Link”, “Research Works”, “Carleton Now”, “Charlatan”.
- Biography listed in "Who is Who in the World" Edition 2012.
- Named in Carleton University Great Grads Honors list, 22 Scientists since 1942 (2009).
- NSERC PDF Scholarship for excellence in PhD research, Canada (2009-2010).
- Overall Best Paper Prize in European Microwave Week Conference, Netherlands (2008).
- Ottawa Centre of Research Innovation (OCRI) Researcher of the Year Award, Canada (2008).
- Commendation Letter from Minister of Research & Innovation, Canada (2008).
- Strategic Microelectronics Council Industrial Collaboration Award at CMC TEXPO, Canada (2007).
- Invited Researcher at Micro Modules Group, VTT Electronics, Finland (2006).
- Best Student Paper Finalist Prize at IEEE APS conference, USA (2005).
- Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) NSERC for excellence in research (2007-2009).
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for excellence in graduate studies (2006-2007).
- NORTEL Graduate Scholarship for excellence in academics (2005-2006).
Gain Enhanced LTCC System-on-Package for UMRR Applications
Publication number: 20120032836
PRINTED TAG REAL-TIME TRACKING
Publication number: 20150382154
SYSTEMS AND METHODS FOR TRACKING A DEVICE IN ZERO-INFRASTRUCTURE AND ZERO-POWER CONDITIONS, AND A TRACKING DEVICE THEREFOR
Publication number: 20180249291
Gain enhanced LTCC system-on-package for UMRR applications
Patent number: 8860607
SYSTEMS AND METHOD FOR LAGRANGIAN MONITORING OF FLOODING CONDITIONS
Publication number: 20160097672
WOUND DRESSING WITH REUSABLE ELECTRONICS FOR WIRELESS MONITORING
Publication number: 20180055359
Printed tag real-time tracking
Patent number: 9473902
METHYLATION BIOMARKERS FOR BREAST CANCER
Publication number: 20150221217
Systems and method for lagrangian monitoring of flooding conditions
Patent number: 9746367
Systems and Methods for Determining Water-Cut of a Fluid Mixture
Publication number: 20170059492
Water-Cut Sensor System
Publication number: 20180011033
High Q, Miniaturized LCP-Based Passive Components
Publication number: 20140306793
More patents by Atif Shamim
Office: Building 3, Room 3276
Atif Shamim is Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) and Principal Investigator of the Integrated Microwave Packaging Antennas and Circuits Technology (IMPACT) lab. He is also an active member of the Sensor Initiative of KAUST. Professor Shamim's research focuses on applications like personal area network, automotive radars, wearable and implantable wireless sensors, wireless powering and renewable energy.
Education and early career
Shamim earned an M.Sc. Electrical Engineering in 2004 and aPh.D. 2009, Electrical Engineering, both from Carleton University, Canada.
Areas of expertise and current scientific interests
Shamim's interests focus on cutting-edge research in innovative antenna designs, RF circuits, and sensors which are then realized and integrated through additive manufacturing techniques to demonstrate flexible, wearable and disposable wireless sensors targeting various biomedical, environmental and industrial applications.
- CMOS RF SoC design (RFICs with on-chip antennas)
- Antenna design, integration and miniaturization techniques
- 3D IC packaging and embedded passives in LTCC, LCP and IPD environments for SoP applications
- Ferrite LTCC based tunable and reconfigurable circuits carbon-based nano radio design (Carbon nano-tube and Graphene mediums)
- Flexible RF electronics (inkjet printing on paper, plastics, etc)
- Energy harvesting through ambient resources (infrared, EM)
- Wearable and Disposable wireless sensors
Shamim is the recipient of numerous prizes and honors: in 2010 the NSERC bestowed the Innovation Challenge Award on him, and in the same year he also received the Canada Entrepreneur of the Year Award from the Ottawa Centre of Research Innovation (OCRI). In 2009, he has been named in Carleton University Great Grads Honors list, 22 Scientists since 1942, and he was awarded the Technology Venture Challenge Award and the First Prize in Enterprise National Business Plan Competition. He also received the Ottawa Centre of Research Innovation (OCRI) Researcher of the Year Award, Canada, just to name a few.
Professor Shamim is Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation Journal.