By David Murphy
The annual CEMSE Student Research Excellence Awards and Student Academic Accomplishment Awards celebrate the talent and achievements of the Division's students. Awarded around the KAUST Commencement ceremony, the awards are presented in recognition of the academic accomplishments and research impact created by our leading students in the fields of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science (AMCS), Computer Science (CS), Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), and Statistics (STAT).
"I am very proud to see that, once again, the students of the CEMSE Division have shone on the international research stage by winning prizes at prominent scientific conferences and competitions around the world," Omar Knio, Dean of the KAUST CEMSE Division, emphasized. "In addition, many of them were able to translate their research into startups and entrepreneurial activities, thus fulfilling KAUST’s vision for acting as a catalyst for innovation, economic development, and social prosperity for the Kingdom," he added.
Nominated by faculty members, the awardees are selected by their respective programs. Students nominated for this year's CEMSE Student Research Excellence Awards and Student Academic Accomplishment Awards include: best paper award winners at leading conferences; instigators of ground-breaking fundamental advances; startup competition winners; and students who have achieved academic excellence in their qualifying exams.
This year’s winning students are:
- Libo Huang (Nominated by Prof. Dominik Michels)
- Myrto Galanopoulou (Nominated by Prof. Athanasios Tzavaras)
- Humam Alwassel (Nominated by Prof. Bernard Ghanem)
- Konstantin Mishchenko (Nominated by Prof. Peter Richtárik)
- Guohao Li (Nominated by Prof. Bernard Ghanem)
- Jing Ren (Nominated by Prof. Peter Wonka)
- Shichao Pei (Nominated by Prof. Xiangliang Zhang)
- Jorge Holguín-Lerma (Nominated by Prof. Boon Ooi)
- Abderrazak Chahid (Nominated by Prof. Meriem Laleg)
- Ronghui Lin (Nominated by Prof. Xiaohang Li)
- Abdullah Hamdi (Nominated by Prof. Bernard Ghanem)
- Asrar Damdam (Nominated by Prof. Muhammad Mustafa Hussain)
- Ghulam Qadir (Nominated by Prof. Ying Sun)
- Gaurav Agarwal (Nominated by Prof. Ying Sun)
- Jian Cao (Nominated by Prof. Marc Genton)
- Wangfang Chen (Nominated by Prof. Marc Genton).
“We are all inspired by the accomplishment of our awardees, their determination, and their resilience in the face of the hardships imposed by the pandemic. We wish all of our students much success, and look forward to future achievements,” Knio concluded.