Bio-Hackathon MENA 2023
February 7-11, 2023
KAUST Research & Technology Park
The organizing committee listed below brings you the BioHackathon Middle East and North Africa (MENA) 2023 for bioinformatics experts. This will be a great opportunity to collaborate with researchers and field professionals. We encourage women to participate
- The Bio-Ontologies Research Group (BORG) (KAUST, Saudi Arabia)
- Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC) (KAUST, Saudi Arabia)
- Women to Impact (WTI) team (KAUST, Saudi Arabia)
- Prof. Dr. Michel Dumontier (Maastricht University, the Netherlands)
- Dr. Leyla Jael Garcia Castro (ZB MED, Germany)
- Dr. Toshiyaki Katayama (DBCLS, Japan)
- Dr. Mona Alshahrani (SDAIA, Saudi Arabia)
- Mr. Nagarajan Kathiresan (Supercomputing, KAUST, Saudi Arabia)
BioHackathon events involve a large number of people that meet on-site to discuss ideas and implement projects in a collaborative manner during intensive coding sessions.
The Bio-Hackathon-MENA Objectives
- Stimulate and strengthen the synergy in the bioinformatics community within the MENA region and beyond.
- Engage women in the bioinformatics field inside and outside the MENA region to work together on topics of common interest.
- Facilitate the development of open-source bioinformatics tools and new methods for biomedical data analysis to accelerate scientific innovations and discoveries.
Outcomes of the Bio-Hackathon-MENA
- Bioinformatics workflows, pipelines, scripts, software, and resources developed during the event will be added to public repositories such as GitHub.
- The selected projects will be invited to submit their manuscripts to the Journal of BioMedical Semantics (JBMS) for peer-reviewing. The pre-print versions of the manuscripts will be published in BioHackrXiv
Topics for this years Bio-Hackathon are listed below. Submitted projects that have a clear link to MENA interests will be prioritized for inclusion.
- Data and text mining (with focus on Middle East)
- Interoperable resources, databases, ontologies (with focus on Middle East)
- Reproducible workflows for data analysis and interpretation (with focus on Middle East)
- Bioinformatics software
- Machine learning and AI methods
Submit a Project Idea
Call for Submissions are now open!
If you have an idea related to one of the topics in the section above, hurry up and submit a project idea by clicking on the link below.
While filling the application, please list the below points in the description:
- Motivation behind the project
- Project description
- How do you plan to implement the project?
Deadline for submission is November 25, 2022.
Participate without a Project
If you have coding skills and would like to participate without a project, please register by clicking on the button below.
For more information, please visit https://cbrcconferences.kaust.edu.sa/bio-hackathon-2023
For any questions, please contact the Organizing Committee on (email@example.com)